2013 PBS KidsGO! Writers Contest
Huntington City-Township Public Library is pleased to be partnering with WFWA PBS 39 and the Lincoln Financial Foundation in sponsoring the 2013 PBSKIDS GO! Writers Contest, open to children in Kindergarten through Grade Three.
What is the PBSKIDS GO! Writers Contest?
It’s a contest where you enter your own story – which has been written and illustrated by you!
Known for the past fifteen years as the Reading Rainbow Young Writers & Illustrators Contest, The PBSKIDS GO! Writers Contest has been encouraging children in grades K-3 in communities across the country to celebrate the power of creating stories and illustrations by submitting their own original pieces.
Who is the contest for?
The PBSKIDS GO! Writers Contest is open to kids in Kindergarten, first, second, and third grades.
Entries will be judged on originality, creative expression, storytelling and integration of text and illustrations. These stories are judged locally, and the first place winners in each of the K-3 grade categories will advance to regional judging at WFWA PBS 39 in Fort Wayne. One local winner from each age group will receive a prize packet from Huntington City-Township Public Library and be recognized in our local newspapers. Every child who participates will receive a PBSKIDS GO! Writers Contest Certificate of Achievement.
How do I enter the contest?
- Scroll down to the bottom of this page to download and print an entry form and our contest rules.
- Attend our Writers Workshop at 2pm on Saturday, April 16 to get great tips and tricks for writing and illustrating your very own story.
- Get ideas and inspiration (and read winning stories from last year’s contest) by visiting PBS KidsGO Story Central!
- Stop by the Children’s Department at the Main Library or the Markle Branch – we’ve got lots of books and other resources that will give you great ideas to get started on your own story!
- Participants may also pick up an entry form and contest guidelines at either location of Huntington City-Township Public Library.
- Be sure to call the Children’s Department at 260-356-2900 if you have any questions!
When do I need to turn in my story?
The deadline for submitting PBSKIDS GO! Writers Contest entries is Monday, April 15, 2013 by the time the library closes for the day. Entries may be returned to either library location. The Main Library is located at 255 West Park Drive in Huntington, and the Markle Branch is located at 197 East Morse Street in Markle.
How can I find ideas and get started?
Huntington City-Township Public Library is offering a free Writers & Illustrators Workshop at 2:00 pm on Saturday, March 16 at the Main Library, open to anyone interested in entering the PBSKIDS GO! Writers Contest (parents welcome, too!)
You don’t have to attend the workshop in order to enter the PBS KIDS GO! Writer’s Contest, but it’s a great way to get ideas, tips & tricks that will help you write and illustrate your very own story. Just bring your questions, your ideas, and your imagination! Registration for the PBSKIDS GO! Writers & Illustrators Workshop is appreciated – call the Library’s Children’s Department at 260-356-2900 to sign up.